Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Q&A with Joni Webb

This Q&A is with an exceptional Texan woman, Joni Webb. Joni has been a guiding force on the interior design blog scene for years. Her knack to find beautiful design has led her to collaborate with some of the most talented people in the business. Joni always strives to share original content and new ideas. She is showcasing her eye for classic style by sharing with us pieces from her own home. Thank you Joni for contributing your HallReady ideas.
  1. Name: Joni Webb a.k.a. Cote de Texas
  2. Occupation: Interior Designer, Blogger.
  3. Last purchase you made that is hanging on your wall? I bought an 18th or 19th century barometer on 1st dibs!!! I've lusted for one for years and years but could never afford it. I found an unbelievable deal on 1st dibs and scooped it up. It's gorgeous, I think especially because it was a steal.
  4. What's the item you've had the longest hanging on your wall? An antique French mirror that was once hanging in my mother's house.
  5. Favorite place to buy art? I don't really buy a lot of art. I prefer mirrors and plates - and I buy those at antique stores or shows.
  6. Do you collect anything? Gawd, what don't I collect? If I like something, I want a million of them. It's a real problem because I don't really like collections, yet I have so many of them. I collect antique blue opaline. I used to collect transferware but I put it away and now I collect creamware instead. I also collect white ironstone - I used to collect yellow ware, but switched to the white instead. I also collect masonware, but I'm going to put it all away too. I collect books - antique and design books. Ben and I collect shells together. He collects fossils and coins but I make him keep his collections at the office. I wish I had just a few oversized accessories instead of a lot of collections, but shopping is an illness I was born with.
  7. Any advice for those exhibiting art in their homes? I love sets of framed prints - it's such an inexpensive way to get art on the walls. You can even cut up calendars and have something great looking. Same with black and white photographs - take your own pictures, or make your own botanicals. The best advice for hanging art is to hang it lower rather than higher! Aim for eye level. Put art work just a few inches above the sofa or a buffet. If art is hung too high above a piece of furniture it looks like it's moving off into space. Try to ground art work by hanging it over a solid piece of furniture, if possible. Avoid hanging just one small piece of art - it will get lost. Balance small canvases with surrounding plates or a set of prints with a small mirror above the canvas. You don't have to hang just art, consider mirrors and plates. When hanging mirrors, use chains so that the mirror is angled down - this way it reflects something other than the ceiling. Remember - mirrors should reflect something beautiful - not the ceiling vents!!!

14 comments:

  1. What a fun interview with a fabulous woman! I adore Joni, her blog and her new French barometer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview with Joni. I am an artist so I love what you are doing with you site Hall Ready. Do come visit!

    Karena
    Art by Karena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic interview. Love Joni and her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this interview. Joni's blog is so inspirational and her posts are oh so detailed.

    Leeann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Joni and her thoughts on hanging art...xv

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a (stalker), oops, I mean, HUGE FAN of Joni's! Thanks for sharing her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! Where did you get those beautiful crystal obelisks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great interview with a very talented lady. Joni, I would be happy to take the transferware you put away off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful blog and great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the best way to start a collection of creamware? Are there any market sources on line other than ebay to find quality pieces?

    Also, the barometer is a beautiful addition to any room. I really love the one shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to this post I was inspired to make my first 1st Dibs purchase and it is a lovely French Barometer. I only hope that when I receive it, it will be as lovely as the one shown here. Now it's own to creamware for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Correction: Now it's "on" to creamware for my kitchen. I have a French style cabinet/wet bar with display. It now holds pewter, glassware and some ceramic pieces. I think a collection of creamware would be really nice for a change. This was a very helpful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So funny - you got the Gawd right! Sounds just like Joni.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi! I know this is late - I just stumbled on it - thanks for posting this!!!! blush.
    GAWD - what is THAT!??!?!??!?

    Joni

    ReplyDelete